VisualCreatures, an AGBO subsidiary, is an artist-focused full-service visualization company and creative R&D field lab specializing in end-to-end virtual production for film, television, advertising, and interactive productions. VisualCreatures partners with storytellers to deliver their vision through the efficient use of cutting-edge virtual and real-time production technology and innovative techniques. The company’s virtual production stage is serviced by a team of experts with decades of virtual production, visual effects, and engineering experience. Being a part of VisualCreatures, along with having firsthand collaboration with shaping the AGBO universe, means having the opportunity to be part of some of the most exciting and groundbreaking entertainment ventures.
The FX Artist will help bring all forms of real-time FX to life and push the visual development of a high quality project. The Artist will develop an artistic vision of hand-crafted FX to be used in the Unreal Engine.
This is an Expression of Interest role.
- Collaborate with the Lead Artist and other departments to deliver spectacular quality visual effects.
- Provide technical setup, integration, and troubleshooting of performant FX in real-time.
- Paint FX textures from scratch and combine traditional hand-crafted art techniques with next gen shaders and materials to create a unique visual style for all types of FX (magic, water, fire, smoke, etc.).
- Document and communicate specifications and visual benchmarks to support the artistic vision to both studio and external artists.
- Will use sprite-based particle systems along with pixel and vertex shaders to build a wide variety of real-time special effects.
- Ability to use traditional visual effects software such as Maya, Max, Photoshop, Houdini, etc. along with proprietary tools to deliver high quality visual effects simulating real world physical elements.
- Read and write script code to sequence effects.
- Troubleshoot artistic, technical, and performance issues.
- 3+ years professional experience as an FX artist and/or art lead and specialize in using Maya, Photoshop, and in game VFX systems.
- Working knowledge of 3D rendering engines and experience designing FX shaders, particle systems, physics, ribbons, shaders, etc.
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation and VFX pipelines and tools.
- Have an exceptional understanding of the role FX has in production and know how to use color, shape, timing, rhythm, and readability to create compelling, memorable, and performant FX.
- Strong understanding of real-time simulation, offline simulation, materials, and performance including Niagra within Unreal Engine.
- Mastery of relevant software packages such as Houdini, Substance, EmberGen, Photoshop, After Effects and/or Maya.
- The ability to be self-sufficient, reliable, and responsible for large tasks.
- Have an eye for polish and detail for final production.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your artistic and technical capabilities.
VisualCreatures is currently working hybrid (with our offices located in downtown Los Angeles next to AGBO), with select roles fully remote. California based preferred.
The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent to this position.